Creating the Creature

As I mentioned earlier I had made an armature before, but it was too stiff to bend as i had wrapped 2 aluminum wires together to make it more sturdy.
This time i started by creating the basic shape of the armature with aluminium wire, joining them with copper wire, which is a lot thinner and more flexible.

 I then wrapped the copper wire around the joints to make them sturdier.

 I kept adding more copper wire until the armature started to take shape and the shoulders and hips no longer moved seperately from the spine.

After this I started to block out the larger shapes by cutting out shapes out of polystyrene and attaching them to the areas that needed bulking up, such as the head.

 I secured the Polystyrene by wrapping duct tape around it.
I continued bulking up the model this way.


After I was happy with the shape of the armature I started working on the modelling clay. I mixed together the green and the brown plasticine to create a swampy colour. I also left some clean green plasticine for the details. I started bulking out the model. 

After I was happy with the shape, I added more details with the green plasticine, such as the abs and the face. I didn't have any sculpting tools, so I ended up using a thin crochet hook to add more details, such as the abs and the pecks and the nostrils. For the eyes I coloured in 2 sewing pins with a black marker pen and stuck them in. For the mouth I cut out a small piece of white card, coloured it in and stuck it on the face.

This is the finished model.




No comments:

Post a Comment